EuroGOOS is an international non-profit association under Belgian law with registered office at 1050 Ixelles, Rue Vautier 29, registered with the Register of Legal Entities in Brussels under the number 0521.723.012 (“EuroGOOS”). EuroGOOS attaches great importance to protecting personal data and maintaining privacy. This Privacy Statement (“Statement”) describes the personal information we may collect from participants attending the virtual EuroGOOS International Conference, 3-5 May 2021 (“Conference”), the purposes for which we use the information, the circumstances in which we may share the information, and the steps that we take to safeguard this information.
1. Scope of this Statement
Pursuant to the regulatory requirements laid out under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the national privacy legislation (including but not limited to the Belgian Law of 30 July 2018 concerning the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data), for the EuroGOOS 9th International Conference EuroGOOS will collect and process data in line with the following principles:
- All personal data will be collected and processed for specific, explicit, and legitimate purposes only;
- All personal data will be collected and processed lawfully, fairly, and in a transparent manner;
- All personal data collected and processed will be adequate, relevant, and limited to the necessities of the purpose for which it is to be processed;
- All personal data collected and processed will be accurate and up-to-date;
- All personal data will not be kept longer than needed to perform the purpose for which personal data was collected and processed;
- All personal data will be collected and processed through appropriate measures, including safeguarding the integrity and confidentiality of all personal data from theft, unlawful processing, accidental destruction, damage, or loss,
2. Data collection and processing
EuroGOOS will only collect and process your personal data to organize the Conference; we neither collect any unnecessary personal data nor process it in any way not specified in this Statement. EuroGOOS collects and processes personal data through several channels, including the conference registration form, email communication, chat, questions, or survey functions during the event, and conference attendee database.
3. Use of data
EuroGOOS will only use your data for the purpose indicated when you submit your data, or as detailed within this Statement.
We use your data, for which you give consent, for the following purposes:
- Registration: By submitting the online registration form, you consent to the processing of the following data by EuroGOOS: first name, last name, affiliation, department, country, profession/position, and business email address. EuroGOOS will use the personal data to process your registration, communicate with you, and collect your feedback.
- Organization and communication: EuroGOOS will collect and process personal data for organizing the event and communicating with participants (emails related to the Conference, abstract submission calls, provisional and final programme, distribution of Conference proceedings, Conference summary, and closing Conference correspondence including recorded keynotes and download links for presentations). Participants will be able to use the chat, question, survey, and virtual breakout rooms features during the Conference. To access these options, participants must provide their full names. EuroGOOS may store text, audio, and video data to facilitate interaction and respond to unanswered questions after the Conference. To enable the display of video and audio files, the data from the microphone and video camera of your device will be processed accordingly for the duration of the Conference. You can mute your microphone or switch off your camera at any time. Pictures, audio, and video recordings of speakers and participants, as well as live web streaming of the event may be taken for communication purposes. The images and recordings may be published on the EuroGOOS website and social media accounts. If you do not want your image or voice to be recorded and published, please contact the conference organizers at email@example.com.
- Preparation and publication of the conference programme, book of abstracts, and conference proceedings.
- Technical data: EuroGOOS may use anonymized technical data to measure and compile statistics on Conference attendance.
- EuroGOOS may also use your personal data whenever necessary or appropriate under applicable law to: (i) respond to requests from public or government authorities; (ii) comply with legal processes; (iii) protect our privacy, rights, safety, and property; (iv) enable us to pursue any legal remedies available, or to limit damages and liability against EuroGOOS. For the abovementioned purposes, the processing is based on the consent of the participant [article 6.1 a) of GDPR].
4. Sharing personal data with third parties
EuroGOOS may communicate your personal information to external contractors/service providers (e.g. IT service providers who help manage the virtual conference platform) which are the processors, only for purposes related to the organization of the Conference. EuroGOOS only uses processors providing sufficient guarantees to implement appropriate technical and organizational measures in such a manner that processing will meet the requirements of the GDPR and ensure the protection of the rights of the participants. The processors will use any personal information we share with them, or which they collect on our behalf, solely for the purpose of providing the contracted service to EuroGOOS.
In the case images and recordings are published on social media accounts, the participant is aware that this third party may also process the personal data for their own purposes. In this regard, please read their privacy notice. If you do not want your image or voice to be recorded and published, please contact the conference organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Disclosure of your data
EuroGOOS will neither share nor disclose your personal data without your consent, other than for the purposes outlined in this Statement or where legally required to do so.
6. Protecting and safeguarding your data
All personal data collected will be internally processed by EuroGOOS staff members and stored on servers which abide by the EuroGOOS security rules and standards.
If an external contractor assists in the organization of the conference, the collected personal data, and information related to the event will also be stored on the servers of the external contractor, who provides sufficient guarantees to implement appropriate technical and organizational measures in such a manner that processing will meet the requirements of the GDPR and ensure the protection of the rights of the participants.
7. Data retention
Personal data is only retained until one year after the event unless you explicitly opt for joining the conference attendee database, in which case your data will be kept for this purpose.
8. Verifying, modifying, or deleting your personal data
You have the right to access, rectify, and erase your personal data as well as to restrict or object to the processing of your personal data. Besides, you have the right to data portability. You also have the right to withdraw your consent at any moment. The withdrawal of your consent shall not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent before its withdrawal. You can exercise these rights by sending an e-mail to email@example.com and EuroGOOS will make all reasonable and practical efforts to comply with your request, if it is consistent with applicable law and professional standards.
EuroGOOS informs you that you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Belgian Data Protection Authority should any of your rights be violated. The contact details are as followed: Gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit, Drukpersstraat 35, 1000 Brussels; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org (www.gegevensbeschermingsautoriteit.be).